Monday, March 17, 2008

Another small hurdle

During my last doctor's appointment, my doctor informed us that my blood is Rh negative. I wasn't completely familiar with what this meant, so I did a little research and this is what I found:

Early in your pregnancy your blood will be tested to determine your blood type and your Rh status — that is, whether you have the Rh (Rhesus) factor, a protein that most people have on the surface of their red blood cells. If you do have the Rh factor, as most people do, your status is Rh-positive. (About 85 percent of Caucasians are Rh-positive). If you don't have it, you're Rh-negative, and you'll need to take certain precautions during your pregnancy. If you're Rh-negative, there's a good chance that your blood is incompatible with your baby's blood, which is likely to be Rh-positive. You probably won't know this for sure until the baby is born, but in most cases you have to assume it, just to be safe.

So as you can see, I once again do not fall into the category of "most people"... go figure. I love how this article points that out THREE times! I will have a shot called Rh immunoglobulin, or Rhogam at 28 weeks. I think I can handle one shot. :)

1 comment:

Our Story: Continued said...

I am sorry you have another thing to worry about. I am also Rh negative, and because DJ is Rh positive had to get Rhogam shots with the kids. No fun! Oh, and I just studied it in class last week, so I now understand it a bit better...or at least I hope I do because I have a test on it in a couple weeks! BIG HUGS!!